Friday, December 28, 2007

Shakespeare in 2008

I think I've found my 4 Shakespeare books for BiblioShakespeare's challenge. I went digging into my bookcases (many shelves have double rows of books so I have to move things around to find what I'm looking at -really need to buy more bookcases, but don't know where I'd put them) and found two really old books to add to my list. I still have one I'm going to buy with my Christmas gift card.
  1. A Year in the Life of William Shakespeare 1599 by James Shapiro, a new book.

  2. Shakespeare by Allardyce Nicoll - this is a British book, part of the Home Study Books series originally published in 1952, that I bought when I visited Stratford while in college, many years ago.

  3. Shakespeare by Mark Van Doren, written in 1939, I picked it up as a paperback at the Newberry Library book sale a couple of years ago.

  4. Will in the World: How Shakespeare Became Shakespeare by Stephen Greenblatt - this one I have to buy yet.

The Nicoll Shakespeare is a series of essays exploring different theories about Shakespeare and his work, from the point of view of a British author.

The Van Doren Shakespeare has an essay for each of the plays.

As a "just in case" I also have The Folger Guide to Shakespeare from the Folger Library. And if I can find it, my sons' Tales from Shakespeare By Charles and Mary Lamb.

Should be an interesting time reading.

No comments: