Sunday, November 11, 2007

Greetings

Welcome. Since I created this blog over a month ago, I guess it's time I posted something. The Name of my blog and the subtitle say it all - I read. Although not just in the 'Burbs - on the train going to work, on airplanes, in the airport, at the doctor's office. Anytime there's a lull in my day, I have a book.

As long as I can remember, I've been reading. My grandmother always gave me a book for Christmas so I grew up reading the older classic children's books - Polyanna, Eight Little Peppers and How They Grew. I read books, magazines, comic books, newspapers, cereal boxes, dictionaries and the Encyclopedia Britannica Junior.

So what am I reading now? I'm a primarily a one-book-at-a-time reader. While I have a stack next to the bed, they're interesting but not riveting books - Dawn to Decadence by Jacques Barzun, A Year in the Life of William Shakespeare 1599 by James Shapiro. Interesting subject matter but not something I'd stay up all night reading because I couldn't put it down.

My train-to-work book right now is Kristin Lavransdatter, The Bridal Wreath by Sigrid Undset. I think it's an older translation since it's a paperback printed in 1981. The translation seems literal since the language is not contemporary. But the story is excellent and the descriptions of places (one of my criteria for an interesting read) is outstanding. I've only been to Norway, outside of Oslo, once to visit my father's family's home, but I can "see" familiar places. I don't know if the places she mentions are real or not (I'm assuming most are real), but they feel real.

No comments: